Saturday, September 17, 2005

Can't Comprehend Katrina

Weeks later, I still can't accept the reality of Katrina. It's too awful.

The people are aware of what's happening and can find out how to get help. It's a terrible tragedy -- they've lost loved ones, homes, jobs and communities. But to me, the dogs and cats are the true innocents -- trying to fend for themselves in a world they don't recognize.

Over the past two weeks, I've written to the government powers to ask them to help -- or at least not impede -- the rescuers as they fight to save animals. Time is running out. If our government officials don't acknowledge the value of animal life, at least we can try to tell them that to those who have nothing, their domestic animals are very important.

In so many ways, New Jersey is a galaxy away from Louisiana and Mississippi. But the Jersey Animal Coalition, where I volunteer, is expecting to receive refugee dogs from New Orleans any day now.

I am holding my own two dogs very close these days.

No comments: